FAQs

At least once a day, Lynndi Lauper and Doctor nln ask each other this question. But it's really code for 'share your workout plan'. And if there is no workout plan, the convo gets even more supercharged as it turns to special topics like injuries, therapies, out of town guests, extensive travel requirements of the gig, or exhaustion. And the other most FAQ is "What are you eating for dinner?" Doctor nln and Lynndi have so much combined knowledge that blogging it was inevitable.

Witness as we beat ourselves up with hideous workout plans and then gorge on lemon heads and sugar free ice cream.

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Scrimmage and laps!

So Tuesday night we had a big scrimmage. A derby bout typically lasts two 1/2 halfs. It takes a great deal of endurance especially if you are a jammer like me. You have to not only race around the track to catch up with the pack, but go through a series of getting knocked out of bounds and knocked down and sprinting again. I am drenched in sweat afterwords everytime. That is the best and funnest workout I do. Wendesday was league practice. We did pyramids start out with 7 laps then off the track and 10 push ups. 5 laps then off the track into a plank, 3 laps then off the track and 10 crunches, 1 lap and the plank. Then back up again in non-derby direction (clockwise)We then did FIRE! Basically squat down and shuffle feet (while on skates mind you) 2 whistle blasts is turn to the side, 1 is down on both knees and pop up again. A series of hitting and jamming drills, then my coach suggested we try our 5 in 25 again. In order to play on a team we must pass a vigerous test mandated by WFTDA (women's flat track derby association) one of those is to skate 25 laps in 5 minutes. On May 15 this year I did 25 in 4:45, last night I did 25 in 4:16, I beat it by almost 30 seconds! And...I pay tribute to Turbo-jam from beach body 3x a week on top of practice. Now excuse me I have kick boxing to do before bed!:)

1 comment:

  1. Holy crap! I don't think I could do that in running shoes much less on skates!! More (girl) power to you!!!

    ReplyDelete